Nine Iranian forces were killed during an air attack reportedly carried out by Israel on a Syrian military base near Aleppo.
Syrian rebel forces claimed that 22 people, including nine Iranians, were killed in an overnight strike in northern Syria blamed on Israel, the Qatar-based al-Jazeera network reported Monday.
The figure, which could not be confirmed, was much higher than an earlier report of nine deaths provided by a Syrian watchdog group.
Iranian forces were stationed at a Syrian military base on the outskirts of Aleppo that was reportedly attacked Sunday night by the IDF.
Six Syrian soldiers were killed in the attack along with at least three more whose citizenship was undetermined, according to Rami Abdul Rahman, who runs the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
“On the evening of Sunday the 15th of July, explosions rocked the area of Nayrab Military Airbase, which is controlled by the [Assad] regime forces and gunmen loyal to them in the outskirts of Aleppo city,” the Observatory said in a statement.
“It turned out that they were caused by rocket targeting believed to be Israeli, which targeted positions of the regime forces and gunmen loyal to them in Nayrab Military Airbase and its vicinity.”
The raid came hours before a major summit between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump, where Syria and Iran are expected to be on the agenda.
Israel has been pushing Russia to remove Iranian-aligned militia fighters from Syria and has vowed to stop them from getting a foothold anywhere in the country. Russia has reportedly only agreed to removing them from the Golan border region.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who met with Putin in Moscow last week, said Sunday he had discussed the issue with Trump a day earlier.
Netanyahu reportedly told Putin during their Wednesday meeting that Israel would not challenge Assad’s control of Syria in exchange for freedom to act against Iran. Credits: By: World Israel News Staff